Monday, June 19, 2006

Radio 2.0

A little Podcasting 101 for those of you who have only just got to grips with blogging...

Podcasting has been called the hottest thing in radio, a revolution, the future: basically think of a podcast as a radio show that has been recorded onto an electronic file, just like a music mp3 file.

As with all radio shows you may have an episode every day, every week or every month. The clever bit is the way this content reaches you: you don't have to look up the time of the show in the Radio Times, then stop what you're doing or where you're going to catch the show. No, just 'subscribe' to the show from your computer and when there's a new episode it's downloaded automatically. If you happen to have something like an iPod connected to your computer (hence the 'pod' bit), it'll be transferred to that for you to listen to at your leisure.

(By the way, the podcast links will try to open iTunes as the method for subscribing and listening to the relevant podcasts. Although there are other applications to do this, and most podcasts have their own webpages, in my view this is the easiest way to get at them.)

What has this got to do with London Lines?

Well I've been looking for a really good London podcast, an audio version of Time Out (why haven't they done this yet?), the Evening Standard and BBC London News all rolled into one. The closest I can find are The Definitive London Podcast but it seems to have only been definitive until Episode 18 in January and PodLondon also coming to an end in January - that old blogging and now podcasting curse of waning interest or money after an initial flurry.

I've half thought of doing my own London Lines podcast: this is the broadcasting revolution that anyone with a Mac (or, I grudgingly suppose a PC) can take advantage of after all. Not sure I have the time or the world is ready for my silky smooth Late Night Love Affair tones. Until I find that definitive (and current) London podcast, or until I do my own, here's a few others I'm subscribed to:
If you find any other London ones, drop a note on the comments. I'll try and do a piece on non-London podcasts piece with some favourites on paulcampy.com soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home